Saturday, July 17, 2010

This Damn House – Just Fixing the Leaking Toilet

The “addition” to the house, which houses the kitchen and main bathroom, is still older than most houses, being built in the 19-teens. The floor joists have two foot centers, on average, but range from 22 inches to 28 and a hair. The decking clocked in somewhere around two healthy inches of old planks, plywood, luon, and whatever else they stuck in between to “level” it. Save a small edge left along the non-load-bearing walls, it’s all out. It’s eleven at night on Saturday.

With that, a partition wall that housed the plumbing for the tub is now on my front porch. The tub is in the backyard. The vanity…on the deck. The toilet went missing hours ago and is assumed to be armed and dangerous.

To fill in the literal gaps in the framing, I’ve hung a dozen or so 2 x 6 cross beams off of American made hangers I found at Home Depot. The strap I bought to hold up the pipes was also U.S. made. Same with the Milwaukee hole-cutting bits. I purchased well today. I still have three more beams to install, but I needed to stop with the outdoor cutting to give the neighbors a break. Rest easy, neighbors, until seven tomorrow morning, when I fire up the saw again!

Once those beams are in, I can lay the three sheets of decking I bought today to start creating a semi-safe work surface. Then back to the store for Hardy Backer to fix the wall I demolished today and pave the way for tiling. Also, need to get the rest of the flooring and find the replacement tub. That’s the plan for tomorrow: be able to shower inside…

…unlike tonight. As I said, the old tub is in the backyard. Hang the hose over the side and it’s just like life at a hunting camp! Now off to my tree stand to hunt the deadly groundhog, who devoured my entire bean crop over the past three days.

Amazing what happens when you try to stop a leak in the toilet.

No comments:

Post a Comment