Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Day 9: Very Simple Changes

The Lancaster CSA is a farm share coop here in the Philadelphia region. Everything through that CSA is from within one hundred or so miles from here and most of it is organic. If I was to add to my diet, this is the way. Further, Merrymead Dairy is only about a mile from the Suburban Farm and, for four bucks, I can buy a gallon of delicious, local, whole milk.

I refuse to believe that humanity toiled for a hundred thousand years to move from the desert savannah to wondrous places like Butte, Montana or Jerusalem only to eat in the very same way we did back then. Nay, I say, and at the risk of sounding like I’m writing a treatise on the destiny of Man as a Capitalist, we differentiated our work in a society so some of us can focus on building flying cars while others grow the food.

So Jerusalem is mired in war and we don’t have flying cars yet. I’m sure someone is trying…

What do I spend my time on instead of putting all of my efforts towards subsisting? Well, I’m still showering outside.

If there is anyone out there that isn’t broke yet and feels like spending money, I’ve been impressed on how many U.S. made building materials there are out there. Same with hand tools. Have down-economy guilt? Build a three season room!

No comments:

Post a Comment