Thursday, July 29, 2010

Still Surviving on the 18th day…

I am still very confused as a consumer. I don't know exactly how I determine the "real impact" of the food I buy. Is something grown without fertilizers 100 miles away better overall than something grown with fertilizers 1 mile away? What if the difference was 300 miles? Which one uses more non-renewable resources?
Or freezing… If I used conventional power sources and if the company that makes the organic food uses conventional power sources, does that negate everything that organic gains?

And that is where I am. Does Local mean anything if the local environment is still dependant on use of oil and coal? So what am I doing about it???

Nothing. I'm still working on my bathroom. Home Depot has a paint brand called Freshaire Choice (http://freshairechoice.com). I like the colors and it seems to be good, but again, I don't know how this is made. One of the biproducts could be dioxins. Or a specific filtration process may require the freshly-harvested skin from the face of an albino Tiger cub. Who knows???

The Trueblood Company (http://www.truebloodco.com/cabinets.html) is across the street from my house, so I'm going to solicit there for cabinetry for the renovation. Can't get any more local than that…

My garden is going like gang-busters right now. I've harvested well over one hundred tomatoes and am canning away at night to keep up.

Tomorrow is Thursday. My tub should be here soon…

No comments:

Post a Comment