Friday, July 9, 2010

Terrible Fears of my Most Awful Mistake

So, as I've been analyzing the situation more closely over the past week, I believe that I will most certainly die if I try to live only from my garden. Why? Well, because nothing is ripe yet. Also, I won't be able to harvest reliably for a full month no matter when I start this challenge.

In order to try to keep aligned with my intent, I am going to make the following adjustments:
1) Tomato sauce that I have canned is now within scope. I know that I didn't grow vinegar, so to speak, but everything else in there is from the yard.
2) A very small amount of grains will be added: two pieces of locally-sourced bread and a little pasta each day max.
3) I can shamelessly rob from my neighbor's garden so long as he doesn't notice.

By doing this, I will be able to start now with those very few things that have ripened (zucchini and grape tomatoes) and will still be in the experiment when the rest ripens.

You may begin calling me a cheater now, if you like.

1 comment:

  1. I salute you on this admirable mission and look forward to reading about it! Here’s my initial consolation and advice:

    1. Don’t worry about adding the bread and pasta options- this isn’t cheating, unless you were originally on a death mission. You need to maintain your blood sugar at balanced levels, and the added complex carbohydrates will help sustain your energy throughout the day. This should also help you keep irritable or violent urges at bay while at work.

    2. Perhaps allow yourself a tablespoon or two of an unrefined oil (e.g. olive or safflower) when you prepare your vegetables and pasta. It’s a pretty low-impact way to add some flavor and also the additional calories you’ll be missing from eating less, especially if your only source of energy from fat is coming from the eggs.

    3. Run out and find yourself a fennel plant for your garden. It’s a known appetite suppressant.

    4. If the neighbor’s dog wanders into your backyard, it’s never okay to eat him. Even if he did come from your backyard and you’re starving, this goes against other more serious rules.

    ReplyDelete