Wednesday, November 14, 2012

And we all come together


Generalizing across huge populations is always a bad idea. The reason it keeps happening is that it makes for good reading. Thus…
I was in Ireland last week. One thing you may not know about Ireland is that there are no street numbers. An address might read something like, "O'Beer's Pub, Street Name, Town Name, County." I suppose traditionally it would have been easy enough and if you live in the town, you probably know what's around, but it can be hell on visitors. But what's one more little challenge, right? I mean, I'm already driving on the other side of the road.
Anyway, I got general directions from the hotel I was staying in to the area of the town I needed to get to (the general neighborhood can also be part of the address, sometimes). When I got there, I pulled into a gas station and asked a guy for directions. He said, "I'm going right by there, so just follow me and I'll take you to the gate." And he did just that.
A few days later, I arrived back in Newark Airport, collected my checked baggage, and clamored onto the shuttle bus that leads to the economy parking lot. I'm not complaining when I say that I waited for 35 minutes for the bus, but I bring it up only to highlight the fact that this is not a fast moving operation. So after I get situated in a seat near the front of the bus, two young Asian girls flag down the driver. From just outside of the bus, one girls says, "excuse me…can you tell me…um…" and she quickly looked down onto a sheet she had. The bus driver said, "Uh uh!" and as the doors were swinging shut continued, "I don't got time for that!"
With that kind of friendly attitude, I'm sure we'll all be able to work together post-election to solve these little problems we face.

No comments:

Post a Comment