Saturday, October 6, 2012

Wants and Fears

Have you noticed that there are political campaigns everywhere these days? They tell me that there are a lot of things to be afraid of today. Like the economy. Man, that thing is scary. It seems that it is the most pervasive thing in existence. Seems to mean more to us than air, water and love. This thing can completely ruin my life if it's allowed to do so. It can do it whether or not I personally make it mad. However, even if I do everything I can for it, it may not reward me with riches, but merely a normal life. I'm afraid of the economy.
Then there are radicals. These people are terrifying. Get this: they base their lives off of beliefs that have no way to be proven right or wrong. They just believe something - maybe it's something they find comforting or maybe it's something they themselves are afraid of - and they let it drive everything in their lives. They protest, burn, marry, kill, and lie based on these beliefs. And I hear they have them outside of America, too. I'm afraid of radicals.

I want to be happy. To be happy, I first must just be. I can't be happy if I'm not alive. I want clean air, fresh water, a functioning sewer, and booze. Those things are all at risk. I'm not even saying I want progress. I don't want cleaner air and fresher water. I'm saying simply that we can't let any more slip away. But it slips further and further into disrepair as the economy and radicals make us more and more afraid. I'm afraid of being afraid any longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment