Sunday, October 17, 2010

Officially, it has passed

If I busied myself with only one feature of today, and if that feature was that it is 62F outside, then I would most likely tell all of you that today is just like a spring day.

But there are more qualities that make “today” than simply the temperature. The air is very dry and the wind is accompanied by a gentle rustle, supplied by the browning leaves still clinging to the trees. The long shadows cover not the last bits of snow, as they do in spring, but the remnants of the summer – the tomato cages I have yet to bury deep in the shed. And today, I pulled the rest of the pepper plants from the ground. The 2010 garden is, my friends, no more.

As we all grow older, we know that we too pass. What is it that we will leave behind that will, in some ways, keep our ideas and our qualities alive? For a garden, that’s an easy question. I have pasta sauce, pizza sauce, salsa, a murderous jar of straight jalapeno juice and a few gallons of tomato juice canned and stored away in the cupboard.

I need to do something so the rest of my life can leave such a delicious legacy…

No comments:

Post a Comment